Llanfairfechan is a delightful, quiet seaside town set amid the beautiful countryside and spectacular mountain scenery at the northern end of the Snowdonia National Park. Its central position overlooking the Menai Strait provides excellent views of the Isle of Anglesey and the Great Orme’s Head at nearby Llandudno.
It occupies a central position on the North Wales coastline, (lying between Conwy and Bangor on the A55 Expressway), and the main London to Holyhead railway line.
The town has a resident population of about 3,500 and lies within easy reach of all the main towns, scenic areas and recreation centres in North Wales.
Llanfairfechan was developed in the late 19th Century as a Victorian holiday resort, popular for its sea air and safe bathing. Much of the town’s Victorian character remains, with a long spacious promenade and original stone built shops in the busy town centre, now a conservation area.
The area is rich in history with evidence of prehistoric hut settlements and sites of Stone-Age axe production. A prominent feature above the town is Dinas, which can be seen from most locations in the town, with its Iron Age hill fort.
In the hills above Llanfairfechan, the ancient Roman Road forms part of an historic trail. A leaflet describing this trail is available from newsagents and cafes in the town.
Meini Hirion Stone Circle, known locally as The Druids Circle is within easy walking distance.
Standing above the town is St Mary’s Church, from which the town takes its name, first mentioned in 1253. The present building, on a circular Druid site, dates from 1849.
You will find a selection of essential shops and services along the main streets, good facilities in the beach area, and interesting features in the town’s architecture and its history. Its diverse nature and amenities give the town advantages over some larger resorts and make it an excellent centre for visitors, either for the day, or to stay.