A striking building with a tall spire, Christ Church was built in the Tractarian style in 1864 by C&J Shaw of Saddleworth.
Built at Mr Platt’s expense and endowed by Richard Luck and others, it was consecrated by the Lord Bishop of Bangor on August 5, 1864.
On July 21, 1892, a new chancel, paid for by local subscription, was dedicated. At the same time, a new vestry and organ chamber were constructed.
In 1902 the two-manual William Hill organ was rebuilt as the present four-manual instrument and resited on the north side. It is regarded as one of the finest organs in North Wales, and is in regular use for recitals – a recent CD recording is on sale at the church.
Originally the organ bellows were water powered, from the nearby Afon Ddu. It wasn’t until 1936 that an electric blower was installed to ensure full volume at all times, even in hot summers, when the water level was low.
The present north aisle was added to the original structure in 1874, in memory of John Platt.
There are several stained glass windows, including two from 1900 and one from 1905, made by the famous stained glass artist Kempe. To the right and rear of the font there are two windows by Kempe, one depicting St Elizabeth and St Anne and the other depicting the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple.
To the right of the altar another of Kempe’s works has the theme of Christ’s command to Peter, ‘Feed my sheep’. This window was given in memory of Philip Constable Ellis by John Platt’s wife and children. The artist’s trade mark is to be seen in the bottom left hand corner of each window, a wheatsheaf.
To the left of the altar a window depicting the Resurrection was given in memory of Eleanor Platt. The east window above the altar, by Clayton and Bell, represents the Te Deum. The west window has four scenes from the life of Christ and commemorates the builder of the church.
The church was re-dedicated to incorporate the historic dedication to St Mary after the closure of the old Parish Church in 1999, and the church was decorated, re-wired, and fitted with a new lighting scheme and a PA system in 2004.