The architect Herbert Luck North (1871-1941) was educated at Uppingham and Jesus College, Cambridge. He was articled in London and worked as an assistant to Sir Edwin Lutyens before forming a consortium of architects in London.
At the turn of the century he returned to North Wales and established a practice in Llanfairfechan. During his time at Llanfairfechan he designed the Arts and Crafts – styled houses of The Close in Llanfairfechan, as well as other buildings in the town – notably the Church Institute and the adjacent Churchmen’s Snooker Club in Park Road.
He wrote a number of books on the architecture of North Wales, namely ‘The Old Churches of Arllechwedd’ (1900) and, in collaboration with Harold Hughes, ‘The Old Cottages of Snowdonia’ (1908) and ‘The Old Churches of Snowdonia’ (1924).