The Quarry

The granite quarry above Llanfairfechan and Penmaenmawr was opened in th 1830s, due to the large demand for granite setts. The quarry was run by “The Penmaenmawr & Welsh Granite Co.” The granite was lowered from the quarry by self-acting inclines to the 3 ft (914 mm) gauge tramway which ran to jetties, from where the setts were loaded into ships. The standard gauge Chester to Holyhead railway reached Penmaenmawr in 1848, after which the majority of the quarry output was sent by rail. The quarry and its internal narrow gauge railway continued to thrive during the nineteenth century. Production at the quarry continues, though the railway was replaced by trucks in the 1960s (the railway is still sometimes used.)

The Quarry Today

The Quarry Today